Date:      Fri, 4 Jun 1999 17:20:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        klui@cup.hp.com (Ken Lui)
Cc:        cjclark@home.com, klui@cup.hp.com, dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question about arp entry in /var/log/messages

Ken Lui wrote,
> >From cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com Fri Jun  4 12:32:41 PDT 1999
> >>I was thinking of needing a setup like this:
> >>
> >>[isdn]
> >>  |___10bT___[hub] ("wire 0")
> >>               |___10b2___[FreeBSD ethernet card 1] (net 15--ed1--"wire 1")
> >>                          [FreeBSD ethernet card 2] (net 10--ed2--"wire 2")
> >>                             |___10b2___[Mac]___10b2___[NeXT]___10b2___[NeXT]
> >
> > I do not really understand this picture. First, your hub seems useless
> > now. It's just converting from CAT5 to BNC? But more important, you do
> > not seem to have any hosts on the 15-net. What is your motivation for
> > doing this? (I'm too lazy to go back and dig out the old stuff. ;) You
> > above mentioned moving to a new media, 10BaseT, but there is no such
> > change in this picture.
>
> Yeah, the ISDN router is on net 15. What I was thinking about was
> connecting net 15 machines (and multi-homed Macs) on 1 wire. The
> net 10 NeXTs will go on another wire (ed2). Not really sure about
> my Macs since they live on both networks using 1 wire.

I was with you until the 'Macs live on both networks' comment. Is this
what you want?

[ISDN]----[Hub]

         {  |________________________________________________
 15-net -{       |       |       |         |         |       |
         {     [Mac]   [Mac]   [Mac]       |(ed1)  [Mac]   [Mac]
                                       [FreeBSD]
                                            |(ed2)
         {            ______________________|___
 10-net -{           |        |        |        |
         {         [NexT]   [NexT]   [NexT]   [NexT]

But I am begining to believe what your want is all of the machines on
one physical network, but the Macs and FreeBSD have both a 10- and
15-net address while the NeXT machines have just a 10-net address? If
that is the case, you do not want an extra interface on the FreeBSD
box. In that case, you just want to alias ed1 to both networks.

If you want to set things up like the above picture, it is not too
tough, but the difficultly level depends on whether the NeXT boxes
need to access the Internet. In the case where you really don't need
the extra interface, again, it can be done. In either case, the best
way to go depends a lot on how configurable and smart the Macs are
with routing.