Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 2001 21:12:36 -0700
From:      Mike Porter <mupi@mknet.org>
To:        The Utz Family <utz@serv.net>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fwd: BSD not finding ESS 1878 sound chip...SOLVED

(copied to the list so anyone in the future can search for it and get the
resolution.....)

As it turns out, while playing around with the various suggestions here, I
stumbled across the "real" answer in LINT:  the particular sound card (I
don't think it is specifically the chip, I think it is the implementation of
it) is *NOT* plug N play, thus I had to manually specify the irq, IO, and drq
in the kernel config.  That is, rather than just including "device pcm" in
the kernel config file, I had to include:
device pcm
device sbc0 at isa? irq 10 port 220 drq 1 flags 0x10

(values taken from the BIOS settings; see below).
More info on this *IS* available in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT, if anyone in
the future needs it; also check out the pcm(4) and sbc(4) man pages.

On Thursday 15 February 2001 09:45, The Utz Family wrote:
> [...]
<snip>
> > Good point, although the BIOS has manual specifications of the audio
> > settings.  I did try compiling a new kernel without options PNPBIOS but
> > that didn't help.

It seems that this system doesn't really do PNP.  Oddly enough, even without
options PNPBIOS, it still gives that error.  Oh well, doesn't seem to
actually affect anything.

> > > you might also try running 'pnpinfo' but i'll bet it dumps core....or
> > > at least fails immediately with words to the effect of 'PnP not
> > > intitialized...exiting'
> >
> > will try those next opportunity I have to run that machine.

Just for the record, when I tried this, it reported that there were no plug
and play devices in my system.  No other errors/crashes or otherwise dumping
core, etc. at all.  This was actually what started me looking through LINT
for non-pnp compliant sound cards.

> > > oh, and the other thing to check, is the soundcard support even tunred
> > > on in the bios, usually bios's have an option to turn onboard sound
> > > off.
> >
> > I have tried with the sound card enabled and disabled in the bios (to see
> > if it makes a difference, and I still get the "chip1 <PCI to other
> > bridge>" line.  Which is part of why I don't think that is necessarily
> > directly related to the multimedia issue.
>
> hmm, i still think that solving the audio problem is gated by solving the
> pnp problem. but you are free make your own evaluation.
>
> so you are supposed to have something that gets recognized as a North
> Bridge, SouthBridge and PCI to ISA bridge
>
> if your pci to isa bridge is not getting found, then that woudl explain
> your problem, *assuming* that the audio chipset is a PnPISA chipset, which
> i'll wager it is.
>
> so i am going to hazard a guess that this is the problem. the solution
> would be to go look at the bios again and see if there is anything to
> fiddle with along the lines of ISA compatibility. If nothing stands out
> directly, try assigning at least on IRQ (maybe the expected one for the
> chipset) to 'Legacy ISA' and see if that helps.

Again, just for the record.
There were no such settings.  Even the typical "PCI resources controlled by
auto/manual" setting isn't in the laptops' BIOS.  I don't know if it is
becuase it is a laptop, and they thus figure it isn't ever really going to
have any new devices thrown into it (except PCMCIA cards) or if it is the age
of the BIOS).  The only thing is that I could manually tweak in the BIOS
setup all of the parameters of the sound card: IRQ, IO port, joystick port,
and two separate DMA channels (with three options between the two of them...)

> if bios fiddlement doesnt help then u probably have to write a driver for
> that bridge chip.

fortunately, it truns out that the sbc0 bridge driver works fine (there is no
way at this time I am up to writing my own driver) will work for most ESS
chipset sound chips, and accepts manual arguments.  ONce I figured that out,
it was simply a matter of copying the appropriate values from the BIOS screen
to the kernel config file and everything (pretty much) is as happy as can be
now.

Anyway, hope this helps some other soul desperately searching for some
answers <(}:

mike