Date:      Sun, 25 Aug 1996 23:30:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Gene Stark <gene@starkhome.cs.sunysb.edu>
To:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Vulnerability in the Xt library (fwd)

This is the worst one yet for me.  A crazy idea occurred to me, what do
other people think?  Why not nip all this stuff in the bud by changing the
semantics of exec() so that setuid privilege is turned off unless the
program has previously executed a (new) system call that says "I really
want setuid privileges to be passed to my children."  Of course, this
would be nonstandard, but it would have the nice property that since no
existing program calls this system call (it doesn't exist yet) no further
exploits of this type would be possible with existing software.
Calls to this new system call could then be introduced carefully into
existing software, right at the point where an exec that *has* to preserve
setuid privilege is performed.

I would hazard a guess (flame me if I'm wrong) that most setuid programs
don't need to exec other stuff, so this type of change would not break
as many things as you might think at first.

							- Gene Stark