Date:      Sun, 24 Jun 2001 10:03:37 +1200 (NZST)
From:      Juha Saarinen <juha@saarinen.org>
To:        Francisco Reyes <lists@natserv.com>
Subject:   Re: /var/mail permissions: 0755 or 01777 ?

On Sat, 23 Jun 2001, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Karsten W. Rohrbach wrote:
> > over the past years i started to hate pine with all the security flaws
> > and other operational problem that arise (mainly lack of support for
> > maildir).
>
> I am in exactly the same boat. A real shame since Pine's interface is
> fairly easy to use.

Wait... Pine does support Maildirs. I'm using it here (Courier-IMAP and
Exim 3.22). It even does SSL.

> I just downloaded mutt a few days ago. I have not copied a pre-configured
> muttrc, but just reading the docs, mutt looks intimidating.

There's an automated muttrc configurator on the Web somewhere. It's not as
bad as it seems, if you remember to keep things in logical parts. You can
tell Mutt to use pico even...

Mutt seems slower with IMAP than Pine though -- each time you expunge
deleted messages, Mutt has to read in all the headers again. Pine seems to
cache them.

--
Regards,

Juha

PGP fingerprint:
B7E1 CC52 5FCA 9756 B502  10C8 4CD8 B066 12F3 9544