Date:      Thu, 25 Mar 1999 21:14:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      <unknown@riverstyx.net>
To:        rick hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux vs. FreeBSD: The Storage Wars

On Thu, 25 Mar 1999, rick hamell wrote:

> > Linux-Alpha doesn't have the 2 gig problem, and the 2.2 series does have
> > patches available to go past the 2 gig limit.
> 	Which is why I personally don't like Linux. It seems that you're
> always loading patches to fix little problems. :) Granted FreeBSD has
> patches too. But when was the last time you needed a patch? :) Anyways,
> isn't the Linux patch still limited to 8 gigs or so?

Depends on which patch you're talking about, I think :-)  According to
Alan, the problem on 32-bit machines was using a signed integer, which
limited it to 2 gig.  There's a patch to make it unsigned which gives you
4 gig.  Alpha machines have 64 bit integers, so the problem is pretty much
totally gone there.  I believe (but haven't installed for lack of need)
there is a patch for 2.2 which is supposed to be moved into the stable
kernel sometime soon that completely removes the 32-bit limit.

I've never needed a patch, except for adding driver support (for the
3c905b ethernet adapter in 2.0.30) and fixing the various TCP/IP stack
holes that were running rampant in 2.0.30 era kernels.

I personally only use FreeBSD as a hobby machine.  I'd like to use it in
production but I haven't got enough FreeBSD knowledge to do that right
now.  I still can't find any documentation for changes I should make to
the configuration/kernel/etc when I want to really push a FreeBSD
machine...