Date:      Thu, 25 Apr 1996 16:16:32 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        alk@Think.COM (Tony Kimball)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bounce buffers

>    Bounce buffers are required for 24 bit (ISA) bus master DMA
>    to addresses over 16M.
>
> Only bus-mastering DMA, then?  I'm quite vague on PC hardware,
> so correct my errors, please, but is there not a slave mode of
> DMA operation as well?  Are bounce buffers required for slave mode?

No.  The on-board DMA controller is on the local memory bus and
therefore does not suffer the same access limitations as if it
were on the I/O bus.

Typically, the only device which may use this is the built-in FDC
on most systems, and that's useless because the FDC chips in Intel
hardware wither have no FIFO whatsoever, or an 8 or 16 character
FIFO, but the fact is undetectable without crashing the hardware
without the FIFO.

In any case, "hostmaster" DMA will not have the problem because
it will only access device memory from system space instead of
system memory from device space.  Device memory, by definition,
is mapped to locations accessable to the devices.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.