Date:      Sat, 31 Aug 1996 16:51:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Raymond Richmond <richmond@cronus.oanet.com>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>, sos@freebsd.org, durham@phaeton.artisoft.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Specs on a Hitachi CM2085me monitor anybody ??

On Sat, 31 Aug 1996, Raymond Richmond wrote:

> I heartily agree, being an EE I have on many situations shown CS people
> many a thing about coding and development.  In fact my scholastic career
> included more software and development courses than a mainstream CS, plus
> hardware.

You guys are making no sense here, and I think you both know it.  I know
plenty of Engineers that couldn't code hello world, and some that make me
look as bad.  The exact same thing is true of many CS grads.  I know Nate
personally, and yes, he knows his stuff, but it wouldn't be particularly
hard to drum up a counterexample.

Generalizations like you are making are dumb, you judge each person as
they come down the road.

What you meant to say was probably that they should have gotten someone
more competent, someone who understood the various systemic dependencies,
to design something that impacts systems in multiple ways.  Software,
hardware, if the person was more system oriented it wouldn't have happened
the way it did.

I'm sorry if I come down on this, but you guys are sounding snobbish in
these EE comments (and I am proud to think of myself as one, still!)

> On Sat, 31 Aug 1996, Nate Williams wrote:
>
> > [ Terry hit my hot button here ]

> > > The data about the card is simply not well abstracted from the code
> > > that implements the INT 10 interface.
> > >
> > > And once again we discover why EE's should not be hired to write
> > > video BIOS.
> >

> > Cheap generalization.  I'll take on 95% of the CS grads. who graduated
> > in 94 in a usability/readability contest.  Most EE's I'm awae of who
> > program are pretty decent nowadays, and most CS types who graduates a
> > few years back are just as bad as the EE's. :)
> >

> > Proud Electrical Engineer,
> >

> > Nate - You can't spell Geek w/out two E's. :)
> >

> --

>  | / |---Raymond Richmond---Question Man-------(403)430-0811 -| \ |
>  | / |---------OA Internet----------Technical Support---------| \ |

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |