Date:      Tue, 1 Dec 1998 15:05:40 -0600 (CST)
From:      Neil Monroe <arcadian@mindless.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Locale errors - solution

For those who may have been upgrading using the 'make world' method, or
have had StarOffice 3.1 installed on their machine, may find that they get
one or more of these errors:

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
        LC_ALL = (unset),
        LANG = "us"

I had StarOffice on my system and then removed it. By removing it, I mean
deleting the directory tree from /usr/local/StarOffice. There is also a
directory called StarOffice and some files .sd.* in the users home
directory. These, should be taken away for a clean StarOffice removal. The
install puts the line:

source .sd.csh

in your .cshrc. You should either replace the .cshrc with the .cshrc.bak
that the setup created, or edit these lines out.

Neil Monroe
arcadian@mindless.com