Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 2003 07:41:26 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ACPI problem: sio ports improperly attached with ACPI on Intel L440GX+

On Sun, 23 Mar 2003, Robert Watson wrote:

> When I boot with ACPI, the following appears in dmesg:
>
> Mar 23 14:14:31 none kernel: sio0: configured irq 4 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
> Mar 23 14:14:31 none kernel: sio0: port may not be enabled
> Mar 23 14:14:31 none kernel: sio0 port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on acpi0
> Mar 23 14:14:31 none kernel: sio0: type 16550A
>
> And sure enough, when using ACPI, interrupts don't work properly with the
> serial ports, resulting in them essentially being unusable (stuff goes
> out, but not in, except once in a while when the silo overflows).  I
> notice that, unlike my other 5.x boxes, sio0 and sio1 seem to attach to
> acpi0, rather than isa0 as one would expect, so I guess it's not entirely
> surprising that the interrupts aren't working right.
>
> Any suggestions about how I might go about diagnosing and remedying this
> problem?

Maybe something else steals their interrupts (it could be unconfigured
ports sio[2-3]).

I think the ports get probed again later with isa hints (ISTR seeing this
for isa-pnp) but their "successful" attachment to acpi prevents this doing
anything.  The "configured irq N not in bitmap" warning used to be an error
and this would have prevented attachment.  You could try making it an error
again.

Bruce