Date:      18 Feb 2002 20:18:12 -0600
From:      dmmcf@uiuc.edu (D. Michael McFarland)
To:        "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1014504211.35ab10@mired.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Advice sought re MS Office compatibility

"Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1014504211.35ab10@mired.org> writes:

> Ok, I replied once, but I want to add a word. And more information.
>
> MS Word has won the desktop document production war. It hasn't won the
> file format war - because it isn't a fixed file format. I'm sure even
> *they* have been bitten by having someone using a newer version send
> them a document that they then couldn't read.

My impression is that they are willing to absorb this sort of damage
as part of the cost of doing business.

> WordPerfect 7 ran on FreeBSD. It was even in the ports tree for a
> while.

It looks like WordPerfect is no longer an option.  From the FAQ at
Xandros Corporation's web site,

    http://www.xandros.com/faq.html

(reformatted by me):

    Where can I get Corel WordPerfect or Corel Draw for Linux?

    Xandros has acquired rights to the Corel LINUX OS but
    unfortunately, we do not have the rights to develop or distribute
    WordPerfect or any of the Corel graphics applications. Corel has
    now discontinued distribution of their applications for Linux.

    Where can I get support for Corel Linux applications?

    Corel is still providing technical support for their products
    under Linux so you should contact them directly to resolve Linux
    related support issues....

> StarOffice generally dealt with Word documents better than
> WordPerfect. If you've got to deal with powerpoint files, I don't
> think there's any other choice than StarOffice, though I haven't
> looked at the office suite built around WordPerfect.

Word and PowerPoint are necessities, unless I refuse to even pretend
to MS Office compatibility.  No one is yet asking me to use Exel.
(Does it still claim -1^2 == +1?)

I have a spare machine.  I have Windows XP and Office XP CDs in my
desk.  The handwriting is on the wall, even if it is in crayon.  But I
feel better for having kicked this around with all who've commented.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Best,
Michael