Date:      Wed, 23 Feb 2000 10:53:35 -0500
From:      Peter Schwenk <schwenk@math.udel.edu>
To:        Rob <rpd@core.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Apsfilter (or is it ghostscript?) doesn't print correctly...Help!

Ah, sounds like the classic "parallel port garbling because of the 'net'
parameter in the GENERIC config file" problem.  Have you rebuilt your kernel
and modified the

'device          ppc0    at isa? port? flags 0x40 net irq 7'

config file line to read

'device          ppc0    at isa? port? flags 0x40 tty irq 7'?

(note the 'tty' replacing 'net')

If not, give it a whirl.  That seems to be a common problem.  It's been
discussed a lot in the mailing list.

Rob wrote:

>      Hello FreeBSD-questions readers,
>
>      I am having a hell of a time getting my print system up and running.
> I installed the `apsfilter' port (and all of the ports it slurps up,
> including teTeX, ghostscript, and others) on my personal home system:
> FreeBSD 3.3 with an NEC SuperScript 860 running under 300x300 dpi, PCL4,
> LaserJet IIP compatability mode.  (I am using apsfilter-5.1.4.)
>      If I print a raw text file > /dev/lpt0 (or `lpr -Praw'), the
> file is printed correctly.  However, once I use `apsfilter' -- for
> example:
>
>           $ lpr man.ps
>
> -- only a quarter page (at most) is printed correctly, then I get ASCII
> garble, and the rest of the file is not printed.  I then have to `lprm'
> the file and shut down the printer so it doesn't keep spewing blank pages.
> I have used both ghostscript-5.50 and ghostscript-5.10, and both
> render perfectly fine in x11 viewing software.
>      In the past, I have used this same printer on FreeBSD (Both 2.2.7 and
> 3.x) with no problem.  But after having the printer in storage for a few
> months, I thought I would reinstall everything, and it has been a mess.
>      The printer itself seems okay, and the printer's internal settings
> page prints fine when I press the manual printer settings button.
>      Incidentally, I experimented with `dvilj2p' -- a separate program
> provided in the texmf package -- which directly translates *.dvi files
> to LaserJet IIP format.  With `lpr -Praw file.lj', I get something that
> works much better, but it doesn't print lowercase `a' for some reason,
> and sometimes individual letters are sprinkled randomly on the page.
>      What's going on here?
>
>      -Rob

PETER SCHWENK                                    |  UNIX System Administrator
Department of Mathematical Sciences              |  University of Delaware
schwenk@math.udel.edu                            |  (302)831-0437