Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 2002 17:20:04 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Joe Talbott <josepht@cstone.net>
Cc:        Pete Carah <pete@ns.altadena.net>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hang problem with spamass-milter...

In the last episode (Jul 08), Joe Talbott said:
> On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 03:07:47PM -0500, Dan Nelson wrote:
> > You sure this is the trigger, and not an email over 250k?  An unpatched
> > spamass-milter will definitely hang on any email that spamc decides is
> > too big to process (250k default).  There are patches at
> > http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/spamass-milt/ that fix this problem
> > and add some more functionality ( see patches 349, 351, 354, 381, 385 ).
> > Most of the patches require a CVS checkout, though, which is probably
> > why the port doesn't include them.
>
> I applied patch 349 to the port and reinstalled.  I'm still having issues
> with multiple mails coming in at approximately the same time hanging
> spamass-milter/spamc.
>
> To repeat:
>
> for i in `jot 10 1`; do
> 	echo "test $i" | mail -s "test $i" email@dom.com
> done

Works for me.  I changed `jot 10 1` to `jot 100 1` and after some
chugging, got all 100 messages.  With patch 349 applied, the milter
uses a select() loop in the part of the code where it needs to both
read and write from spamc, so I can't see where it would deadlock.

I have some changes to patch 349 that adds a '-d' flag to log a
debugging message to every function in the program; I'll CC you when I
update the copy on savannah.

It's possible you're seeing some sort of threading bug on -stable;  I
have only tested on -current.

> I also applied patch 372 which didn't solve the problem.

372 just sets all the sockets to non-blocking, which will cause
buzz-loops, and adds some other bugs that make it not 8-bit clean for
incoming messages.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com