Date:      Wed, 2 Sep 1998 12:36:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Stefan Molnar <stefan@exis.net>
To:        Andriss <andriss@argate.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bin, sbin, another bin...

Well it is very simple.

/bin
-for core systems binaries that are needed to boot.  Just in case
your /ust slice is dead.
/sbin
-Same as above but that are staticly linked to their libaries
/usr/local/{bin,sbin}
-For binaries that are installed localy to the machine that is not
part of the core instalation of FreeBSD  Like netscape, xv, pine. elm
/usr/{bin,sbin}
For the rest of the installed binaries, such as talk, cvs, du, ee, tip

The reason for the seperation is to make it eaiser to locate the programs.
There is no reason to have netscape in the /usr/bin/ because it is not
a part of FreeBSD.  You can make the /usr/local a NFS mount so one
machine can hold the binaries for a custer of machines.   Also it
would not be pretty to have one directory with 400+ programs in it.

Stefan