Date:      Sun, 09 Jun 2002 16:48:49 -0500
From:      John Prince <johnp@vwebpage.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   ATA Atapi Cdrom Problems

Hello.
I have seen a few threads with regards to having a problem with
ATAPI cdroms, on 4.6.rcx, and I also have the same problems..

I have several different hardware configurations that I have tested this
with, as well as versions..
4.5 was the last version that worked across the board..
4.6 RC2 and RC3 both have the exact same problem reading
cdroms, both commercial and inhouse burned..
Newer drives appear to work. I have several ACER and Toshiba
40X and 52X that refuse to read (beyond a directory listing).

Error:  READ_BIG command timeout - reseting

It appears this problem began after ATA was mfc..
Not sure why there is not more noise with regards to this, however
I do agree it to be a "Major Problem".

--john