Date:      Sat, 18 Jan 1997 17:18:40 -0800
From:      Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   "permission denied" contacting portmapper?

Hi-

I'm trying to recover from losing part of my boot drive.  It was mostly MS
Windoze stuff, but it also had my / and /usr/X11R6 partitions on it (my /usr,
et al partitions were on a different disk).  This is a FreeBSD-2.1.5R system
running on a P90.  I've also got a 386 running 2.1.5R that is working just
fine.

At any rate, I've probably managed to screw something up & I'm trying to
figure out where to start looking...now when I boot, I get some errors:

  mountd[77]: Can't register mount
  nfsd:[79]: can't register with udp portmap

and when I do 'rpcinfo -p' I get this response:

  rpcinfo: can't contact portmapper: RPC: Remote system error - Permission denied

I'm not sure what else could be related...does anyone know what kind of stuff
could lead to that kind of permission denied error?  Some random commands...

I tried a 'ping' and got errors like this:

  ping: sendto: Permission denied

Comparing 'ifconfig -a' output on two FreeBSD systems, I see that the problem
system has NOTRAILERS in the flags for its ed1 interface and one that works
doesn't have that flag for its ep0 interface. (I don't know what that means)

Hmmm...the working system has (in its 'netstat -rn') an entry tying its IP
address to the hw ethernet address of its ep0.  The non-working system reports
it's IP address tied to 127.0.0.1.  Could that be the cause of problems or
just a symptom?

Any suggestions on where to look?

Thanx,
Scott Blachowicz  Ph: 206/283-8802x240   Mathsoft (Data Analysis Products Div)
                                         1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                        Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org