Date:      Wed,  9 Sep 1998 13:53:37 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Tony Kimball <alk@pobox.com>
To:        swindellsr@genrad.co.uk
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Daemonising a Java Process: Possible?

Quoth Robert Swindells on Wed, 9 September:
: >: >disregarding for the moment the possibility of sufficient Solaris x86
: >: >ABI support to allow the use of Solaris' libsunwjit.so.)
:
: >I'm still hoping someone will comment on this:-)
:
: I suppose this might work if there was an ELF version of our JDK.

Two problems which immediately spring to mind:

1. How to switch system call interfaces, depending on whether one
   is trapping from the solaris text or the bsd text?

2. Will the solaris jit generate solaris-specific object code,
   i.e. missing library interfaces and/or solaris system calls?

While solving these problems might be better in the long-run,
since it would allow the use of any solaris .so (like IMSL, etc.)
third-party product on BSD, it's probably not the shortest-path
to solution for this particular project.

: I have got a skeleton shared library that gets loaded correctly by
: the java.lang.Compiler class. Basically everything seems to work as
: described in the "Java Native Code API" document.

This bodes well for the conversion of the changes back to kaffe.
Perhaps if freebsd-java could get Transvirtual to provide a
special-case license the current OpenVM jit could be used.  Or perhaps
an LGPL for the jit-only component.  Indeed, an LGPL jit distribution
seems likely to be the simplest request to satisfy, and the one to
which I would be most friendly, were I a Wilkinson or Mehlitz.