Date:      Sat, 23 Feb 2002 12:12:30 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>, Michael Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>, "George V. Neville-Neil" <gnn@neville-neil.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel Debugging over the Ethernet?

Julian Elischer wrote:
> > > The other issue with TCP is that you can set up specific
> > > flows in the company firewall, and also permit SSLeay
> > > based tunnel encapsulation from outside via an intermediate
> > > machine.  This isn't really required for off-site debugging,
> > > but it gives another option.
> >
> > You are better off ssh-ing into a machine on the same net and
> > running gdb there.

This is really hard to do, when you are trying to debug a
problem in the field in a situation that you can't repeat
locally in your own lab, for whatever reason.

The value of network debugging to me is not that I can
avoid buying a serial cable (big deal), it's that I can
do the debugging remotely.

If I'm going to ssh into a local machine and debug from
there, then I can use a serial cable.

The other issue is that, doing remote debugging from a
local machine, means I have to expose my source code on
that machine.  If I tunnel in, insteaD, well, then I'm
not exposing the source code.

> > For me the biggest reason for not using any IP was to
> > minimize any perturbation due to the debugger.  The fact that
> > we have to steal mbufs is bad enough.
>
> I agree, especially when we will have locking etc for the mbuf queues.
> It's a pitty we can't intercept the mbuf allocate routines..
> then we could keep a couple for ourself :-)

IP is so you can make it through a cisco, etc. to another
routable segment.

For the allocation, you *can* intercept it.  What you do is
allocate a chunk of mbufs when you allocate other fixed
memory in machdep.c.  It's pretty trivial.

-- Terry