Date:      Fri, 28 Mar 1997 16:57:46 +0100
From:      Marc van Kempen <marc@bowtie.nl>
To:        "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
Cc:        jdp@austin.polstra.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Building Solaris->FreeBSD cross binutils

> > > I also noted that another recognized target is i386-unknown-freebsdelf
> > > which JDP added support for.
> >
> > That one works fine, but it's for playing around with ELF rather than
> > building real FreeBSD binaries.
>
> Hmm.  What's the status of our ELF support?  Can I just use the
> ELF version and make a cross development system for FreeBSD
> ELF binaries?  I assume we're going to have native ELF support
> some time in the future, so if there was a patch kit to 2.2.1
> (or even 3.0) I could live with that.
>
> > If you want a cross environment to FreeBSD, your easiest path is
> > probably to port the old assembler and linker from our /usr/src tree.
>
> Will try to do that.

On a related note, can anyone tell me if I can use objcopy to
change Linux (static) elf libraries into FreeBSD libraries?

If not, is there an alternative?

Regards,
Marc.
Marc van Kempen                 BowTie Technology
Email: marc@bowtie.nl            WWW & Databases
tel. +31 40 2 43 20 65
fax. +31 40 2 44 21 86         http://www.bowtie.nl