Date:      Sun, 10 Dec 1995 03:09:54 +0100 (MET)
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
To:        cross@math.psu.edu (Dan Cross)
Cc:        cross@math.psu.edu, p.richards@elsevier.co.uk, jkh@time.cdrom.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A call for DNS secondaries to server for <dom>.freebsd.org

It seems that Dan Cross said:

> Another point that I  hadn't thought of that  Dave Barr pointed out to me
> was that a lot  of counties don't  use the standard convention for domain
> naming, that is, in England that use  *.co.uk instead of *.com.uk.  Thus,

The  USA are not using  anyway. The real standard for  the US should be .us
:-)

In France, the situation  in .fr is  similar to .com  now, for a long there
was no read control over the name space.  The universities uses all sort of
naming scheme (univ-*.fr, u-*.fr, something.fr, and so on) for example.

> it   would turn into  a   big mess  with  the  country level authorities.
> Another thing  that Dave pointed  out  to me  was  that DNS traffic isn't
> really all that taxing, so the benefits would be minimal.  :-)

He's right about the traffic.
--
Ollivier ROBERT    -=- The daemon is FREE! -=-    roberto@keltia.frmug.fr.net
   FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 2.2-CURRENT #2: Sat Dec  9 19:14:38 MET 1995