Date:      Tue, 17 Mar 1998 00:04:56 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
To:        wrsomsky@halcyon.com
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: stty erase ^H ?

> Wasn't there some discussion at one time about making the default
> stty mode be erase ^H (backspace), since that is what our default
> console keymapping makes the key that you would normally hit to do
> an erase operation, ie, the backspace key actually sends a
> backspace?

If there was a discussion, I missed it.  But, I would personally vote
more for mapping the backspace key to 0177 instead.  This is more in
keeping with what many Unix workstations use, and (more importantly,
IMHO) keeps Emacs users happy (since ^H is Emacs for 'help', and 0177
is Emacs for 'delete-backward-char', regardless of the stty modes).

Best,
joelh

--
Joel Ray Holveck - joelh@gnu.org - http://www.wp.com/piquan