Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 1996 00:11:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>
To:        "Cecil G McGuire, Jr." <junior@speaker.inc-g.com>
Cc:        Ben Knox <ben@dircon.co.uk>, bsdi-users@BSDI.COM, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RAID system experience

[This messages is cc'd to the hackers list of FreeBSD, since I told them I
would summarize my experience with an external RAID box to them]

I have been using an Adjile systems box on both FreeBSD and BSD/OS.  I
get better performance with FreeBSD, but my BSD/OS box has been a bit
more stable.

All in all, it's pretty straight forward to setup, install, and use.  I
had a bit of trouble with LUN support, but leaving it at zero has it
working just fine.  (I think it's my controller/software, not their box.)

I have it on a Buslogic now, but I'm going to try it on a 2940UW under
FreeBSD real quick.

The raid controller supports dual-hosting, multiple LUN's, (each
configured differently), and up to 5 drives per tier, with God knows how
many tiers.  It supports RAID 0,3,5.  (Each LUN can be a different RAID
level).

My main problem has been with drives.  The first batch of Fuji drives had
3 fail out of 5 in 2 weeks.  This last batch has been working fine.

My only concern would be with dealing with the company.  The company I
work for has excellent financials, excellent credit.  We purchased it off of
a PO, Net 30, and it was accepted.  Then all of the sudden, w/o warning,
they changed it to COD. (They did call and tell the purchasing agent it
was being switched, but never gave any kind of satisfactory reason, just
what appeared to be some lip-diddling).  Sort of like bait-and-switch.

Because of this tactic, we won't be dealing with them anymore, but your
mileage may vary.

Adjile has a very vague return policy as well, with no apparent
satisfaction guarantees.  ie, if they ship it, and you accept it, that's it.