Date:      Mon, 03 Jul 1995 19:33:53 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        freebsd-bugs@freefall.cdrom.com
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Subject:   Re: kern/577: SLIP requires `ifconfig up' now

>For me, any change that would restore the existing behaviour will be
>okay.  I can either think of marking the interface up with if_up()
>[sp?] or also modifying slattach instead to do it itself.

   What I don't want to allow is for the interface to be set up without there
being an associated tty.
   I have a change that will give us both what we want. Basically, "ifconfig
srcaddr dstaddr" will set the interface up if it is currently attached to a
tty. Otherwise, it will be set 'up' as soon as slattach turns the interface
into a SLIP device.

-DG