Date:      Wed, 10 Nov 1999 16:24:12 +0100
From:      "HEITMEIER, MICHAEL (HP-Germany,ex1)" <michael_heitmeier@bbn.exch.hp.com>
To:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   gtk complication

I'am trying to install gtk 1.2.6 and have run into trouble because the
configure script does not recognise X, which I have installed from the
FreeBSD 3.3.5 binaries off the Xfree.org web site. Kind folks from the gtk
mailing list have suggested that the X development headers and/or libraries
are missing. This is still stuff I struggle with so my first question is: do
I need to install the X source from
ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/3.3.5/source
<ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/3.3.5/source>;  in order to get these
libraries?

How would I go about compiling/installing the source (since due to size they
come in 3 chunks), would it work (if yes why do they distribute pre-compiled
binaries?) and what do I do with the existing X installation?
Uninstall/remove first? I'm a little hesitant as you can tell since I'm
feeling there is a lot of potential to break things...

Thanks for any advice!
Michael