Date:      23 May 2000 22:01:07 -0500
From:      rand@meridian-enviro.com (Douglas K. Rand)
To:        kline@tera.com (Gary Kline)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: running headless

** Gary Kline <kline@tera.com> on Tue, 23 May 100 11:48:13 -0700 (PDT)
** in [running headless] writes:

Gary> Can anyone give me the kernel configuration for running my [...]
Gary> box headless?

There are just a few things to do:

  o create a /etc/boot.config file that contains the line:
       -P
    This will cause the boot blocks to probe for a keyboard and use
    it if it is detected, else use the serial port.

  o Make sure that ttyd0 is turned on in /etc/ttys.

Thats it, no kernel mods necessary.

If you find the default 9600 baud too slow, you can change the

  BOOT_COMCONSOLE_SPEED

line in /etc/make.conf to the speed you wish. (We use 115200 bps)
But then you need to remake and install the boot blocks. Don't forget to
adjust /etc/ttys (and perhaps /etc/gettytab too) for the new speed.