Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 2000 20:31:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        "Drew J. Weaver" <drew.weaver@thenap.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-isp@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Really odd problem

On Tue, 5 Dec 2000, Drew J. Weaver wrote:

> 	We have a Freebsd 4.2 box on our network, after the box boots, it
> brings up the network and everything is great, I can telnet into it..
> everything good, but about 30-60 minutes later no incoming traffic is
> getting to the server. If i ping the machine, or telnet to it, I get
> nothing. If I go to the terminal and ping anything then it "wakes up" does
> anyone have any idea what would cause it to stop "listening" to incoming
> network requests? This is becoming very tiresome and i've done everything
> known to me.

  Well, if you rule any issues on the host, it could be a network issue.
If you are using a ethernet switch, make sure the switch is broadcasting
unknown traffic to the port your server is connected to.  That is the
default mode of operation on all switches, but it can be disabled on some.
The switch uses a table of MAC -> port mappings that it builds by
examining traffic.  It ages entries out of the table (ie. 30 to 60
minutes).

Tom