Date:      Sun, 14 Nov 1999 21:55:55 +1300
From:      "Juha Saarinen" <juha_saarinen@email.msn.com>
To:        "Christopher Michaels" <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD. ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Ports and upgrading

Hiya Christopher,

> 	Wait for the port to be updated.  It's not just a matter of hacking
> make files, there are patches associated as well as other settings.

Yep... noticed that. %-}

> 	If you're impatient.  Download the source code and compile it
> yourself, bypassing the ports collection all together.  Although,
> an update
> to something like samba should make it into the collection fairly quickly.
>
> 	As for replacing the old one.  The commonly accepted way of doing
> this is the following.
> 	1. make all, the new port, don't install.  So you know it compiles.
> 	2. Remove the old port with pkg_delete.
> 	3. make install, the new port.
> 	4. (Optional) make clean.

I got Samba 2.0.6 and compiled it and installed it. Works fine, with a bit
of hacking of the paths. Samba 2.0.5a doesn't get along with FreeBSD very
well. 2.0.6 has a workaround for the MSG_WAIT bug (?)which lead to weirdness
such as full speed when copying from the Samba server, but only a tenth when
copying to it.

> 	Now I know you haven't updated your ports with cvsup, either that or
> you haven't looked since updating.  Because KDE 1.1.2 has been in
> there for
> a while.

I have, I promise. Mind you, I've been using cvsup.au.freebsd.org. Mebbe not
a recent tree? Or am I missing something again? I'm using the ports-supfile
in the /usr/share/examples/cvsup directory.

> 	Tell me about it.  If it's a problem symlink /usr/ports/disfiles to
> a dir on a larger partition.  Also, make sure you are doing a make clean
> after each port is installed.

Yep... that's good advice. /home is almost empty so it'll have to take a few
files I reckon.

Cheers,

-- Juha