Date:      Mon, 15 Sep 1997 10:42:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "John T. Farmer" <jfarmer@sabre.goldsword.com>
To:        rewt@i-Plus.net
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, jfarmer@goldsword.com
Subject:   Re: Digital Modem choices

On Sat, 13 Sep 1997 15:54:20 -0400 "Troy Settle" said:

>This probably is off-topic, as it's not really related to FreeBSD.
>
>With that said, I'd like to say that we've had nothing but the best of luck
>with Ascend products.  We've had a 4004 since last January, and the total
>downtime on it has been about 45 minutes while upgrading from analog to
>digital modems.  I can't speak for the 4048, but Ascend's overheating
>problems seem to have gone down quite a bit since the advent of digital
>modems.
>
>Since I've used neither, I can't comment on the Cisco or the Livingston.
>
>If you haven't seen it yet, http://www.k56flex.com seems to have some fairly
>decent informaion on the subject.

To bring it back on topic, there was recently on the list a request from a
vendor (Phylon Tech.  at http://www.phylon.com/) looking for help in
writing & testing FreeBSD drivers for their cards.  Currently they have
W*nNT support.  From the looks of it, it (as well as other vendors cards)
use the MVIP bus (as used in voice-mail pc's, Computer based Telephony
apps, etc.) to tie things together.  But it looks like it's is/will be
possible to buy/build your own "ascend" replacement soon using FreeBSD...

Open standards hardware, open standards software... I like it...

John

John T. Farmer			Proprietor, GoldSword Systems
jfarmer@goldsword.com		Public Internet Access in East Tennessee
dial-in (423)470-9953		for info, e-mail to info@goldsword.com
	Network Design, Internet Services & Servers, Consulting