Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 12:11:24 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>, jmutter <jmutter@ds.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New periodic.conf (was Re: SysV Style Init?)

On Wed 2000-09-20 (23:40), Crist J . Clark wrote:
> /Now/ we have a set up where we have all of these individual files,
> but one central file that sets all kinds of defaults for _all_ of the
> files (or potentially all of them). So, we went from centralized
> single scripts, to a pack of small distributed scripts, and now we
> have a whole bunch of small scripts configured from a central file. If
> you want to change how disks are done, you need to examine
> /etc/periodic/daily/400.status-disks and /etc/defaults/periodic.conf
> simultaneously and hope that your changes just require mods to the
> values that they let you customize. Then you drop the changes in
> /etc/periodic.conf. Otherwise, you need to hack the file and this new
> setup just makes life a hassle.

Well, hopefully one can just read the documentation - periodic.conf(5),
&c.

> I think the distributed script files with a centralized configuration
> file is kind of an awkward construction.

You're going to _love_ the NetBSD dependency-based rc system I'm
currently porting! (:

The 'defaults' system isn't likely to go away - it saves us endless
hassles, and makes changing defaults, adding new configuration
directives, and so forth, easy to do for administrators and for us.

Centralised configuration is rated as one of the coolest features of
FreeBSD by the people I show it to - /etc/init.d/network/scripts/if-eth0
is bad. ;)

It also makes writing an installer and configurator easier, although
there are still a few things holding up a 'libconf'.

> That said, I was thinking of breaking /etc/security into an assortment
> of scripts. I would think it is frequently hacked by users. I have a
> Tripwire check for example. It be great if I did not have to manually
> merge that whole thing each time /etc/security changes. There is no
> reason it should not be done the same way the other periodic scripts
> are. But with this new /etc/periodic.conf has kind of quenched my
> enthusiasm.

I believe either brian or ben were working on doing this.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
Sunesi Clinical Systems