Date:      Mon, 19 Dec 2005 10:34:52 +0100
From:      Kern Sibbald <kern@sibbald.com>
To:        Matthew Jacob <lydianconcepts@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tape drive handling on FreeBSD

On Sunday 18 December 2005 23:48, Matthew Jacob wrote:
> The first paragraph of mtio(4) describes the usage of a control device.

Yes, thanks. I've already read that and other sections of the man pages, and
it is true that the .ctl device allows one to figure out if a tape drive
really exists or not.  The problem is:

1. It is system dependent -- I would like to see some standardization of the
Unix API from system to system where it is reasonable, practical, and doesn't
break everything.

2. The errno that is currently returned by an empt tape drive during an open()
is "incorrect" or at the least misleading.

3. The API that you currently have doesn't work correctly with Bacula, which
was originally designed on Linux and Solaris -- it penalizes FreeBSD Bacula
users.  Since the FreeBSD way of doing things is the minority in my little
Unix world, it is unlikely (though possible) that I will rewrite my code.

4. There are other shortcomings of the SCSI driver that penalize FreeBSD users
compared to Solaris and Linux that I would like to discuss as well (ability
to have the driver efficiently space to the end of the medium and keep track
of the file position).

Actually, I am really shocked how poor the "Unix" tape interface is (this has
nothing to do with FreeBSD in particular). There is no standard way to set
tape drive options, there is no standard way to figure out if a tape drive
exists and what options it has set for it (blocking, two eof, density,
compression, ...). Probably most annoying, there is no standard way to know
if a tape is mounted or not.

My main interest is to try to discuss what possibilities exist for changing
(unifying) the API (or there is also a small chance that I am missing
something ...).  If no possibility of discussion/changes exists, so be it.