Date:      Fri, 3 Jul 1998 17:53:48 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Willem Jan  Withagen <wjw@surf.IAE.nl>
To:        easmith@beatrice.rutgers.edu
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Waht are CDF's (Was: Variant Link .....)

In article <9807030628.ZM9030@beatrice.rutgers.edu> you write:
>On Jul 3, 12:11pm, sthaug@nethelp.no (possibly) wrote:
>
>> If anybody should ever consider something similar to HP-UX CDFs, I'd
>> strongly suggest that this should only be available to root by default.
>> (on the assumption that root users know what they're doing).
>>
>> At one of my former employers we had a large number of HP-UX diskless
>> hosts, using CDFs. We saw far too many cases of users inadvertently
>> having their directories "disappear" (and similar problems) because
>> they had turned the CDF bit on. It was a real support hassle.
>
>Another reason to have this limit is to prevent people from hiding
>files using it from various security checking tools; see Garfinkel &
>Spafford's _Practical Unix & Internet Security_, pages 136-137. (To
>give you some idea, it's under "Oddities and Dubious Ideas" for a
>reason.)

You'll have to educate me:
	I was one of the initiators of the agry letters towards HP when
	they took over Apollo and decided to kill DomainOS.

	So I've refused to work with hockey-puck at that time, and CDF's
	tell me nothing.

But from what I read above the files actually disapeared from the filesystem
not to be found elsewhere?

How does that relate to links point either left or right.

--WjW

--
Internet Access Eindhoven BV.,  voice: +31-40-2 393 393, data: +31-40-2 606 606
P.O. 928, 5600 AX Eindhoven, The Netherlands