Date:      09 Mar 1999 22:57:30 +0100
From:      Eric Jacoboni <jaco@titine.fr.eu.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ppc and vpo (continued...)

Hi again,

My Iomega // Zip is the _only_ thing broken in my FBSD system :(

I've a FBSD 3.1-STABLE on a Pentium host and, according to various
docs, i've put the following lines in my kernel config file :

=-=-=-=
controller      scbus0
device          da0

# Parallel port
device          ppc0    at isa? port? net irq 7
controller      ppbus0
device          nlpt0   at ppbus?
#device         plip0   at ppbus?
#device         ppi0    at ppbus?
controller      vpo0    at ppbus?
=-=-=-=-=

If i use such a config, my system boot ok, but without zip
access. Kernel says it has detected my zip but i cant' mount da0s4
(yes, i've done ŕ MAKEDEV da0...). "mount -t msdos /dev/da0s4 /zip"
says that da0 is not configured...

Linux succeed in the detection :

=-=-=-=
ppa: Version 2.03 (for Linux 2.2.x)
ppa: Found device at ID 6, Attempting to use EPP 32 bit
ppa: Found device at ID 6, Attempting to use PS/2
ppa: Communication established with ID 6 using PS/2
scsi0 : Iomega VPI0 (ppa) interface
scsi : 1 host.
kernel:   Vendor: IOMEGA    Model: ZIP 100           Rev: D.09
kernel:   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
kernel: Detected scsi removable disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 6, lun 0
kernel: scsi : detected 1 SCSI disk total.
kernel: SCSI device sda: hdwr sector= 512 bytes.
        Sectors=196608 [96 MB] [0.1 GB]
kernel: sda: Write Protect is off
=-=-=-=

As Linux use PS/2 mode, i've try to put a "flags 0x2" on the ppc0 line
but, when i reboot the system crashes (same with 0x3).

With 0x4 and 0x6, the system boots but vpo0 give lots of timeouts.

My bios setting are "ECP+EPP" for the parallel port. Any ideas ?