Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 1997 09:12:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com>
To:        David Greenman <dg@root.com>
Cc:        John Kelly <jak@cetlink.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (fwd) Re: F00F bug *fixed* in 2.0.x kernels

On Thu, 11 Dec 1997, David Greenman wrote:

> On 8 Dec 1997 23:11:24 GMT, in comp.os.linux.development.system
> torvalds@transmeta.com (Linus Torvalds) wrote:
> >
> >If they are indeed still using that fix, they are a sorry lot of
> >incompetent idiots.
>
>    The fix that Linus is refering to is one of several that were evaluated
> and rejected. The fix that we finally adopted in FreeBSD is the one that
> involves making the IDT to read-only and catching the write fault that
> occurs.

Good.

And I think I should clarify my position a bit - people did obviously not
find my statement about "sorry lot of incompetent idiots" to go over well
in some circles. Strange ;)

Anyway, first I'd like to point out the "if .. indeed" clause of that
part, just in case somebody missed it.

I was personally involved with that particular fix, primarily as the one
who de-bunked it. I was possibly not the only one, but I was at least one
of the ones who spent time chasing down intel people and actually writing
a test program that conclusively showed that the fix was bogus. I suspect
that I was the first one to show it to be bogus.

So imagine _my_ reaction when I am told by a third party that FreeBSD is
still using the fix that I spent time _proving_ was wrong. In that
context, "sorry lot of incompetent idiots" probably sounds a lot more
understandable. Because a sorry lot you would have been.

I'm happy that the third party was confused, but he had enough knowledge
of the fix existing in the first place that I just assumed that he was
right. Sorry for any ruffled feathers, and I guess I should have checked,
but I don't think my reaction was completely unreasonable.

			Linus