Date:      Tue, 1 Oct 1996 08:34:59 +0200
From:      Alain.Thivillon@alma.fr (Alain Thivillon)
To:        steve@edmweb.com (Steve Reid)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: logging connection times with pppd

Steve Reid wrote  :

> If there's a problem with this, or a better way of doing it, please let me
> know. I have NOT tested this change yet. It's a very simple change, so I
> don't expect any problems with it.

Use Mgetty+Sendfax, it will autosense the initial LCP request and launch
pppd as needed.  It's a far better solution, because mgetty allow you also
to :

- properly initialise modems
- check every hour if they are alive
- filter PPP/Direct Dialup connections
- turn off answering just by creating a file
- modems are not left in AutoAnswer mode : if your system is done, the modem
  does not answer.
- be sure that the modem hang-up when pppd exits.
- etc ....

With mgetty, the connection time of pppd is the good time (ie the real
connection time) because pppd is launched only when needed.

--
Alain Thivillon -+- Alain.Thivillon@alma.fr -+- Alma, Grenoble