Date:      Mon, 03 Aug 1998 11:40:44 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Parag Patel <parag@cgt.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS diskless booting (NFS root/swap) broken in -current?

> I haven't been able to boot my 486 test machine diskless with the
> latest -current.  It used to boot (using nb8390.com under DOS) and run
> fine when my server was -stable, but I unfortunately haven't tried it
> in weeks and didn't keep a copy of the working sources to compare.

Do you have 'options NFS_ROOT' in your kernel config?

> Forcing it to boot NFS by adding BOOTP_NFSROOT in the config file
> causes this crash:
>
> 	panic: nfs_mountroot: socreate(0000): 43

Hmm, looks like you do.

> It's correct in that the protocol is not supported, but it shouldn't be
> using 0 for the protocol family.  It doesn't matter if I netboot the
> kernel, or copy it to the disk and then boot it.  Did something change
> such that I need some new magic incantation in the config file now?

Apart from the above, no.

> (The BOOTP_NFSV3 option didn't make any difference.)
>
> When I boot (root and swap) off of the local disk, it is quite happy
> NFS-mounting my server, so I suspect some kernel change in the past few
> weeks broke diskless.  I didn't notice anything obvious in the CVS logs
> for the few files I looked at, but I'm probably not looking at the
> right place.

It might help to check the nfs_diskless_valid flag, and maybe dump the
nfs_diskless structure just to see whether it's coming in correctly.
The family is set by the bootstrap, so if it's not copied, it's not
going to work.

Bruce's changes to the way the root filesystem is found *may* have
something to do with this.