Date:      Sat, 24 Feb 2001 18:44:09 -0600
From:      Laurence Berland <stuyman@confusion.net>
To:        David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Stallman stalls again

David Johnson wrote:

> Bingo! The premise of the GPL is that the user is prone to immorality
> and unreason. The premise of the BSDL is that the user is competent,
> rational and moral. And this attitude isn't lost on the user. Case in
> point: Steve Jobs only released the NeXT Objective C front end under the
> GPL because he was threatened by legal action, but he released Darwin
> under the APSL and donated lots back to FreeBSD
> _without_even_being_asked_to!

To clarify, I think it's less that the BSDL assumes all users are
competent, rational, and moral, than it assumes that people taken as a
whole do, such that a small portion lacking in these traits can't manage
to do serious harm, and that it's worth the small setbacks they'll
create in order to realize the larger benefits that essentially
unlimited pooling of human thought vis a vis the collaborative process
will bring.  GPL just ties people up in red tape, and doesn't give them
a choice.  People always get angry when they don't have a choice, and
usually will choose the opposing view (this is perfectly rational, it
makes it easier to demonstrate that you don't agree with what's being
forced on you, and it makes a clear protest).  Given the choice to do
whatever they want, most people (and hence society at large) will do the
right thing.

> David

Laurence Berland
Intern, Flooz.com