Date:      Wed, 2 Sep 1998 10:45:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
Cc:        Brendan Kosowski <brendan@bmk.com.au>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: The "kill -9" question

On Tue, 1 Sep 1998, Studded wrote:
> Brendan Kosowski wrote:
> >
> > I recently did a "kill -9" ( from root ) on a shutdown process,
>
> 	What *exactly* is a "shutdown process?" What exactly did you type?

Ahh, I bet he started a shutdown +5 and changed his mind.
He killed it with -9 and left an /etc/nologin.

I think Brendon later asked if kill -9 by root is a bad idea.  Well,
sometimes you need to use it but you should try a normal (no arg) kill
first.  That gives the program you are stopping a chance to clean up
after itself.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  949 443 4172
 Dana Point Communications, a California corporation        dan@dpcsys.com