Date:      Sun, 23 Feb 1997 21:26:42 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Here's a radical idea...

> ...but having ports fall over is useful in its own strange way:
> it helps keep ports from getting stale.  To this end, maybe there
> should be a special debugging fetch target that doesn't ever go
> to ftp.freebsd.org. A make fetch on the whole ports tree in this
> "debug" mode is run periodically, and email is automagically sent
> to the MAINTAINER if something is amiss.

How about changing the default value of MASTER_SITE_FREEBSD?

Right now, it's a boolean which says "spam the existing site list
with ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/distfiles/.." (or, as it's
called in bsd.port.mk, ${MASTER_SITE_BACKUP}).  That's done by
setting MASTER_SITE_OVERRIDE, which essentially turns on exactly
the behavior we want when MASTER_SITE_FREEBSD is defined.  I
therefore propose that we simply add this:

.if !defined(NO_MASTER_SITE)
MASTER_SITE_FREEBSD="Yes, always please."
.endif

To bsd.port.mk and turn it on by default.  If someone still wants
to override the "master site" behavior, whatever that might be,
they can build with NO_MASTER_SITE=yes.

					Jordan