Date:      Sun, 2 Sep 2001 11:16:46 -0400
From:      "Bob Hall" <rjhalljr@starpower.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Setting TERM for ssh

On Sun, Sep 02, 2001 at 05:25:01AM -0500, Mike Meyer wrote:
> Bob Hall <rjhalljr@starpower.net> types:
> > Does anyone know how to set TERM for ssh? The ssh man pages say that you
> > can do this, but they don't say how. I've been researching and
> > experimenting for several days now, but haven't found the answer.
>
> The man pages on 4.4-RC don't say you can set the terminal
> environment. However, it does say that sshd reads
> $HOME/.ssh/environment for lines of the form "name=value" to add to
> the environment. Would that do what you're looking for?

My man pages say the same, which I took to mean that I could set the
TERM variable for the ssh session in the environment file. But it has
no effect.

My conception of what happens at the start of an ssh session is that
my ssh software reads the TERM setting in $HOME/.ssh/environment and
passes that to my remote account. Obviously, that isn't happening.
The remote account receives the TERM value for the current shell,
regardless of the setting in the environment file. If I set the bash
TERM to vt220, I can use the remote account without problem, but
applications that use color are monochrome. If I set TERM in the
environment file, the remote account complains about the 'cons25'
setting. I'm trying to find a way to set TERM for the ssh session,
and only for the ssh session. Is this possible, or does the ssh
session have to have it's own terminal with it's own shell in order
to have it's own TERM value? And if so, what is the point of the
environment file? I'm sure it does something, but what?

Bob Hall
--
Know thyself? Absurd direction!
Bubbles bear no introspection.        -Khushhal Khan Khatak