Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2011 11:23:04 -0800
From:      Devin Teske <dteske@vicor.com>
To:        Paul Macdonald <paul@ifdnrg.com>
Cc:        Devin Teske <dteske@vicor.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rescue cd with networkign and ssh!

On Thu, 2011-01-20 at 11:24 -0800, Devin Teske wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-01-20 at 13:53 +0000, Paul Macdonald wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > can any recommend a live cd (any distro) that will mount ufs and has
> > networking+sshd.
>
> How about DruidBSD? http://druidbsd.sf.net/
>
> Bullet Points:
> - ISO is 24MB
> - Contains over 150 standard (and some non-standard) BSD utilities
> - Runs entirely from memory
> - Is based on FreeBSD-8.1
> - Includes the tmpfs kernel module (should you need to allocate more
> disk space from RAM)
> - Works from optical media (CD/DVD) and USB flash drives

How to get this onto a thumb drive (using FreeBSD):

Step 1: Download DruidBSD-1.0b1.iso

Step 2: Insert your USB thumb drive.

Step 3: Execute: camcontrol devlist
NOTE: find the `daN' device associated with your thumb drive

Step 4: Execute: dd if=DruidBSD-1.0b1.iso of=/dev/da5
NOTE: assuming that `da5' is your thumb drive

Step 5: Execute: echo "p 2 0x0c * *" | fdisk -f - /dev/da5
NOTE: again, assuming `da5' is your thumb drive

Step 6: Execute: newfs_msdos /dev/da5s2
NOTE: again, assuming `da5' is your thumb drive

That's it. You now have a thumb drive with:

a. An invisible boot partition for booting into DruidBSD
b. The remainder of unused space allocated as a DOS-compatible
partition, usable under Mac, Windows, Linux, and UNIX.

When you plug the thumbdrive into any computer, it may appear to the
untrained eye that it's a blank thumb drive. Little do they know that
there's an invisible bootable partition chalk-full of utilities and a
full BSD distro.

NOTE: If want a UFS partition instead of a W95 FAT LBA partition, change
the above "p 2 0x0c * *" to instead "p 2 0xa5 * *" and also change
"newfs_msdos" to instead "newfs".
--
Devin

--
Cheers,
Devin Teske

-> CONTACT INFORMATION <-
Business Solutions Consultant II
FIS - fisglobal.com
510-735-5650 Mobile
510-621-2038 Office
510-621-2020 Office Fax
909-477-4578 Home/Fax
devin.teske@fisglobal.com

-> LEGAL DISCLAIMER <-
This message  contains confidential  and proprietary  information
of the sender,  and is intended only for the person(s) to whom it
is addressed. Any use, distribution, copying or disclosure by any
other person  is strictly prohibited.  If you have  received this
message in error,  please notify  the e-mail sender  immediately,
and delete the original message without making a copy.

-> END TRANSMISSION <-