Date:      Fri, 5 Jan 96 14:37:47 EST
From:      jeffa@sybase.com (Jeff Anuszczyk)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        jeffa@sybase.com
Subject:   ijppp - dynamic IP's and on-demand dialing

Hi All,
   I've read and scanned everything I can think of but I can't find any
information regarding on-demand dialing to an ISP when the gateway IP
is dynamically assigned.  I do have ppp running just great, definining
all the proper routes (including the default) and (a major accomplishment
for me :-) setting the correct netmask (didn't realize it was a param
on the set command).

   In any case, I have a new ISP that has assigned me a static IP
address.  However, the gateway IP is dynamic (depends upon the portmaster
I get).  Given that, I can't figure out how to setup the tun0 device
with the proper default route such that ppp -auto will work correctly
and reliably time after time.  Basically I can usually get it to work
for the very first time... but when the connection drops it deletes all
of the routes.

   So far I:

	1) ifconfig tun0 up 146.x.x.x 199.y.y.y netmask 0xffffff00
	2) route add default 199.y.y.y
	3) ppp -auto ultranet

	When a connection is made, ijppp does:

	ppp.conf:    set ifaddr 146.x.x.x 0 255.255.255.0
	ppp.linkup:  delete ALL
		     add 0 0 HISADDR

Please note that the 199.y.y.y address listed above is sort of a fudged
number.  I really don't know what address I'll get, so I just use the
address of one that I know.  I assume the system will delete the address
once the connection is made.

Does someone have a list of available commands used in ppp.conf and ppp.linkup
that might help me out?

Thanks for any help!

- Jeff