Date:      Tue, 9 Mar 1999 17:14:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        drauman@pop3.siscom.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: no subject

Wow, you are right that this is some _seriously_ messed up mail. It's
not all the SMTP server's fault though.

drauman@pop3.siscom.net wrote,
> I don't want to bother you but, I'm just at a loss.  I'm quite new at this.   If I can get FreeBSD to just send Internet e-mail submitted by a SMTP client I can justify its existence in our work place and buy work time for me to continue to learn.
>
> I have got my connection over a T1 line correct and it would sure appears I've got DNS Client service going: nslookup does work!
>
> FreeBSD machine's IP address 198.234.65.226 and I would like others on the same subnet to connect and send Internet e-mail with  addresses user@psa2.age.state.oh.us.
>
> If I fudge a known domain name "state.oh.us" in the sender mail  address I get a "no relaying" error.  If I use "psa2.age.state.oh.us" I  get "Sender domain not found".  "psa2.age.state.oh.us" will be a DNS entry in the state of Ohio's DNS servers and point to another machine handling incoming mail.  In fact, the e-mail address I provided should--when our request is handled--convert to psa2.age.state.oh.us.
>
> I have done some research but haven't found an answer.  Your handbook in entry 17.2.1 indicates this can be set up with /etc/resolv.conf.  Am I on the right track?  If so it doesn't say how to  set up the file!

You seem to be confusing DNS and mail relaying. You do need DNS to do
mail relaying, but having DNS working does not mean your relaying will
magically work the way you want it to. You did not really give enough
information on how your DNS is set up or the specific nature of any
problems you are having for any help there.

As for your mail relaying issues, that can all be done by properly
configuring sendmail. Making the 'From' addresses the way you want
involves using 'masquerading.' It also requires the cooperation of the
users' MUAs. You also seem to need to work on how strict sendmail is
about allowing relays. Have a look at,

   http://www.sendmail.org

As a start for sendmail help.

I have set up a FreeBSD mailserver (both sending and receiving), and it
is not too daunting a task. You just need to organize and break the
problem down into a number of doable pieces. Since you don't seem to
be worried about receiving and serving mail to users, you have less
than half of the problems most people setting up mailservers do.
Relax. ;)