Date:      Tue, 09 Nov 1999 00:27:49 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: easyboot far into disk

Roelof Osinga wrote:

> > 1) boot the installation disks until sysinstall comes up.
> > 2) select the Fixit option (the one that mentiones a shell, y'know)
> > on the main menu.
>
> Alas, won't work. Root is most definitely not the root on the hard
> disk. You can do thing within the fixit environment but not much
> else. Also the fixit option is part of the installation menu. A menu
> that when you exit it reboots the machine.

mount wd0a /mnt? Is it too much typing for you?

> This is more a leven I can relate too <g>. Actually I'm going to try
> another tack. I wiped the disk and will now see if I can get it to
> install, and boot, using raw geometry. This by creating two partitions.
> The first small enough to reside in first 1024 cyls, holding but
> one slice with the root partition. The other covering the rest of
> the disk and containing the rest of the usual slices.

You mean two _slices_, one on the first 1024, and the other at the
end of the disk containing the usual _partitions_ (FreeBSD
terminoloy -- not getting religious here, just clarifying)? This is
a common work-around.

> Theoretically it ought to work. The question is is the install flexible
> enough to allow one to create multiple partitions as well as the needed
> slices within those partitions.

AFAIK, it should be relatively trivial.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	What y'all wanna do?
	Wanna be hackers? Code crackers? Slackers
	Wastin' time with all the chatroom yakkers?