Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 2000 16:12:37 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Ronald G Minnich <rminnich@lanl.gov>
Cc:        David Miller <dmiller@search.sparks.net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Boot off USB SanDisk?

> > I'm booting to single-user in 3 seconds using these things. The IDE delays
> > are high, even for Flash IDE, so going for the socket is a good thing.
>
> should have said: single user Linux. FreeBSD did not work, I think because
> the bootup stuff in the kernel wants to as the BIOS "a few questions", and
> there's not bios there. If anyone wants to work on a non-bios-querying
> boot-time parameter interface for freebsd (like the one linux has) let me
> know. I would really like to boot freebsd out of flash.

Most of the infrastructure is already there.  The kernel expects to be
able to use the SMAP interface to obtain a map of physical memory
segments; you will need to rewrite i386/i386/machdep.c:getmemsize() to
use whatever interface your firmware provides for locating usable
physical memory.

Likewise, you'll need to turn off the probing that goes on in
i386/i386/bios.c.