Date:      Sun, 21 Dec 1997 13:10:31 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        psh1@cornell.edu
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: I broke my mouse.

>I have been fiddling with the sio driver in current and I think this may
>have somehow messed up my mouse. I'm basically getting the sio driver to
>work with this card I have that has a UART 16C750 and a 14MHz clock. Anyway,
>I had adjusted the divisor for the baud rate to be based off the 14MHz clock
>instead of the 1MHz clock and now my psm0 mouse port doesn't work. It
>doesn't even work on the original, unmodified kernel (or Windows95 for that
>matter). The mouse itself works on other computers, but not on this one.

I am not sure which type of mouse you own, the PS/2 mouse or the
serial mouse?

The psm driver is for the PS/2 mouse, not for the serial mouse.
Modification to the sio driver will have no effect on the psm driver
and the PS/2 mouse which is connected to the PS/2 mouse port.

Are you sure what you have is a PS/2 mouse and it's correctly
connected to the PS/2 mouse port?

>I turned on some debugging in the kbdio and psm drivers and here's the
>result:
>
>Dec 20 18:22:44 wartch /kernel: psm0: current command byte:0065
>Dec 20 18:22:44 wartch /kernel: kbdio: new command byte:0054 (set_controller..
>.)
>Dec 20 18:22:44 wartch /kernel: kbdio: TEST_AUX_PORT status:0000
>Dec 20 18:22:44 wartch /kernel: kbdio: RESET_AUX return code:00fe
>Dec 20 18:22:44 wartch last message repeated 2 times
>Dec 20 18:22:44 wartch /kernel: kbdio: DIAGNOSE status:0055
>Dec 20 18:22:44 wartch /kernel: kbdio: TEST_KBD_PORT status:0000
>Dec 20 18:22:44 wartch /kernel: kbdio: new command byte:0065 (set_controller..
>.)
>Dec 20 18:22:44 wartch /kernel: psm0: failed to reset the aux device.
>Dec 20 18:22:45 wartch /kernel: psm0 not found at 0x60
>
>Return code 00fe is apparently PSM_RESEND, but I don't know what that means.

The above log suggests nothing is connected to the PS/2 mouse port.

If you do have a PS/2 mouse, it is connected to the PS/2 mouse port,
and it works on other computers, there may be a hardware problem: a)
the PS/2 mouse port on this motherboard may be broken, b) or the
cabling between the motherboard and the PS/2 mouse port connector on
you computer case is somewhat bad.

Kazu