Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2000 11:04:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, n@nectar.com
Subject:   Re: faults re-inserting network card

>Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 11:50:24 -0600
>From: "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>

>I'm trying to track down the source of faults when re-inserting a
>network card into my laptop.

>[Short version]

>= Are folks able to remove & re-insert their network cards on Sony VAIO
>  Z505s?
>= Are folks able to remove & re-insert their Aironet cards on any
>  laptop?

I can't speak to the former, but I will affirm that the latter is
possible.

>[Long (useful?) version]

>I've only run 4.1-STABLE and 4.2-BETA, each with Doug Ambrisko's an
>patches (which are now in -CURRENT, I believe) with this hardware.

I'm running 4.1.1-S as of around 28 September on an IBM ThinkPad 600E.
Unfortunately, I'm not running with Doug's patches at the moment -- not
because of a problem with them, but because I had done the
{build,install}{world,kernel} stuff on my desktop, and was testing the
results of that experiment before upgrading all of the developer's
desktops.

I believe I ran with his patches for a while at the 4.1-S level, and was
able to remove/insert the Aironet card OK -- though this isn't something
I do very often.  (As a sysadmin, I'm finding that having a portable
machine that does X is very handy; I tend to have xterms from lots of
boxes up on the screen... which is one of the better reasons to use a
window manager that copes with virtual desktops.)  [Note: I do the
suspend/resume stuff a bit more often than the physical remove/insert;
that hasn't failed for me in any obvious way that I can tell so far.]

Unfortunately, I find that I experiment more with machines that aren't
perceived to be involved in "mission-critical" work, and the more I use
a given machine (such as the TP 600E), the more it becomes
mission-critical....  :-(

That said, I'm also running nearly the same code (a few days later, and
with one nasty hack to isa/psm.c to handle some weirdness with the
touchpad) on an NEC  Versa 6030X, also with an Aironet (well, a
Cisco-branded Aironet) card.  I believe insert/eject works OK with it,
as well, though it's at home, so I can't eject it from where I am right
now.  And that machine tends to lock up every once in a while --
sometimes it will go several days without a problem; others, if I adjust
the position of the screen, it freezes solid.  So I wouldn't get too
excited about apparent failures on the NEC even if they did occur.
Again, though, I *believe* I ran with Doug's patches for a while (before
the most recent upgrade).

>Thanks for any hints!

I'll be glad to share information that I have, though off-list would
prbably be best until something worth reporting comes up.

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill      dhw@whistle.com   UNIX System Administrator
Desk: 650/577-7158   TIE: 8/499-7158   Cell: 650/759-0823