Date:      Fri, 7 Feb 1997 14:29:40 -0500 (EST)
From:      Keith Leonard <keithl@wakko.gil.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Floppy tape backup

Howdy,

I've seen this posted before and watched closely for answer - no see. Does
a body have a hope in hell if they have a tape backup that connects
through a floppy controller. I have a Conner 850 and have been trying to
use tar and dump through 'ft' and keep getting "fdc0 input timeout" and
"fdc0 output timeout" and occasionally actually see the tape drive respond
but no write or worst still 'write error'.

I have compiled FDSEEKWAIT = 'a variety of setting' and still get timed
out with no write. I am using 2.1.5. I realize that 'ft' is set up for
40/80 but it should do something. The tape is a 3010 , 400 feet and 50
tracks. density I can't find (perhaps my ignorance is showing)

Any help would be appreciated as I don't have a $1000 for an exabyte tape
drive for home use. I know there are other floppy tape drive people who
would like to see some answer

thanks

Keith
keithl@wakko.gil.net
Character is what you are in the dark - John Warfin