Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2001 01:15:19 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Robert Daniels <rdaniels38@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NATD&GATEWAY PROBLEMS

                =
>     firewall_enable="YES"
>     firewall_type="OPEN"

I'll assume those are typos?

> The rc.conf fie on BAR looks as follows.
>
>    hostname="BAR"
>     ifconfig_x10="inet 192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0" # Private non-routable IP
>     defaultrouter="192.168.1.1"
>     gateway_enable"NO"
                    =
Oops. Another.

[could you try wrapping your text at about 72 characters or so?]

> With this setup I am able to ping computer FOO from computer BAR. I am able to ping both private and public addresses. I am also able to ping FOO defaultrouter IP and DNS IP that I have set in resolv.conf. But I am unable to ping an address out on the internet on computer BAR.

This is strange. BAR can ping the external router and the DNS servers,
but it cannot reach "out on the Internet?" As far as BAR is concerned,
the external router and DNS server would be out on the Internet.

On FOO, run,

  # tcpdump -n -idc0 'icmp'

And,

  # tcpdump -n -idc1 'icmp'

While you try to ping something on the Internet from BAR. Make sure
the packets are getting aliased correctoy.

> Of course I am able to ping address on the internet with computer FOO. I can telnet into Foo via BAR and vice versa.  I also verified that the line natd 8668/divert was present in /etc/services.

Looks like all of the local nets and you connection to the 'Net are
OK.