Date:      Sun, 1 Dec 2002 09:56:11 -0500
From:      Brian Jackson <b.k.jackson@verizon.net>
To:        "Unix Tools" <unixtools@hotmail.com>
Cc:        <aSe@SysFail.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Mail?

On Saturday, November 30, 2002, at 01:45  PM, Unix Tools wrote:

> 2) Add an entry at the end if the inetd.conf file
>         pop3    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /var/qmail/bin/tcp-env
> tcp-env /var/qmail/bin/pop3

Please note that the use of inetd with qmail is not supported by the
author or if you need help on the qmail mailing lists.

Use daemontools (http://cr.yp.to/daemontools.html) instead.  The pop
daemon should be controlled by tcpserver, similar to the following:

#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/local/bin/softlimit -m 2000000 \
/usr/local/bin/tcpserver -v -R -H -l 0 0 110 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup
\
<server-name> /bin/checkpassword /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir 2>&1

An excellent step by step guide is here (http://www.lifewithqmail.org)
which will walk you through setting up qmail.

I'm sure the instructions above work well - just wanted to point out
the part about inetd.

Brian
--
Brian Jackson