Date:      Wed, 04 Mar 1998 15:40:39 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Karl Denninger <karl@mcs.net>
Cc:        John Kelly <jak@cetlink.net>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>, dyson@FreeBSD.ORG, Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Donations.

> The issue is that there are certain things that we really *NEED* fixed, and
> to stay as priorities in remaining fixed as time goes on (things that used
> to work, and are now broken for example - specifically, NFS issues for one,
> and behavior under troublesome SCSI conditions [ie: returns of a defective
> block from the controller] for another).  I'm running kernels and OSs

And as I've already noted, if you have a *specific* thing that needs
fixing then by all means, find some willing contractors and fund the
work independantly.  We'll be more than happy to take a look at
whatever they come up with and, if it's not a total hack, incorporate
it (and note that even if we'd developed a solution internally, it
*still* wouldn't make it in if it turned out to be a total hack and so
nothing is changed by you doing it vs us doing it).

If all this controversy about voting and being coopted by commercial
interests and such has shown me one thing with crystal clarity, it's
that we honestly DON'T WANT funding from certain segments of the user
population.  As I've already stated, even large chunks of cash with
thick strings attached are not really wanted since you've only palmed
off the responsibility for finding personnel and filling out their W2
forms on me and I don't want that - I'd much rather YOU (the
figurative you, not necessarily Karl) fill out the W2 forms and deal
with the headaches of managing the employee(s) in question.  I have
enough headaches as it is and the more administrative work you pile on
me or anyone else in the core team, the less time I have for doing the
kinds of FreeBSD work I want to do and will keep me in this project.

Different headaches with much larger $$$ figures attached to them I
can have already by simply chucking all this and going back into the
commercial software industry.

					Jordan