Date:      Fri, 19 Nov 2004 16:54:52 +0900
From:      Alexander Nedotsukov <bland@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-threads@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Question about our default pthread stack size

Hey guys,

After squashing yet another "too small thread stack size" bug in
software developed on Linux. I decided to ask gurus for the comment. Why
we still insist that 64K is good enough for 32bit archs? I do understand
fact that specs isn't clear about that number and therefore portable
application must reserve it's own stack. But reality is sucks. Nobody
cares about it  for the one simple reason the majority of popular OSes
provides at least megabyte of memory for the purpose by default. More
other please read what for example Sun tells to developers about stack
size allocation:

    http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/816-5137/6mba5vpjc?a=view#attrib-33670

How much people will care after reading this?

If there is no any technical issue which prevent us from bumping default
thread stack size I propose to do this.  If smaller default stack sizes
gains us some significant benefits let's make it  system wide or per
process tunable (ie use getrlimit(RLIMIT_STACK)).

All the best,
Alexander.